PLATE LUNCH WITH BOOM BOOM

Who: A Father and Son that like to eat.

Where: The Bay Area, California.

The Goal: To find the best hidden lunch spots based on your suggestions. We're looking for secret gems, not your neighborhood Chili's. We'll try anything - no distance in the Bay Area too far, no ethnicity of food too scary. We love a good challenge.

The Result: Based on our rating system, we will determine the best spot for lunch by the end of summer.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Lunch #6: Dia de Pesca

Hola. Me llamo Plate Lunch con Boom Boom y me gusta comida! Donde esta el bano?

Okay, that's enough of my 12th grade Spanish on display. If you can't already guess by this brilliant intro, last week my Dad and I ventured out for some Mexican food and followed a recommendation to Dia de Pesca on Bascom Avenue in between San Carlos and Naglee. I've driven past this place a million times and I know I've seen the sign that says "Fish Tacos" and thought, you know I wonder if that place is good. It's so close to another one of our favorite lunch places, Falafel Drive In, that we should have known by pure proximity, it would be a winner.

There are two buildings when you pull up in the small parking lot and it looks a lot like a Trailer Park mated with a nursery covered in christmas lights. You order in the building on your right at the counter and then you can eat either inside or outside on the patio. We both ordered the same thing, the Seafood Taco Special, which features three different mini tacos of crab, tilapia and red snapper served with vegetarian nachos.


This are some top notch fish tacos. The fish is prepared perfectly, flaky and grilled to order on soft corn tortillas. My dad prefers hard taco shells and commented that the fish might have been a little under seasoned, but I thought they stood well on their own and each taco came with a light cream salsa. The nachos were really good but nothing special - and kind of an odd combo for the light fish tacos. Nothing like some delicious heavy beans to go with your healthy grilled fish. Oh, I'm not complaining - the nachos were good, just made me laugh a little.

Dad played "Where's the Beef" as well by ordering a pork tamale. Being the tamale expert, my dad thought theirs was moist and flavorful, with the right combo of pork and mesa. He'd definitely order it again. There's plenty of other menu items and a large list of different fresh fish to choose from for your entrees and other meat items. They have cucumber lemonade at the counter, which my Dad tried but found to be too sweet. Must have been pretty sweet if my Dad rejected it...

Overall, Dia de Pesca was a good experience. I think we'll both definitely be back to try a few of the other menu options. My only warning might be to sit inside, especially on a hot day the patio smelled of cooking garbage - not very appetizing. 

DIA DE PESCA
Bascom Avenue between San Carlos and Naglee
Our Rating: 8/10.




No comments:

Post a Comment